I know you were bummed today...so much so, in fact, that it wore off on me! Then, like all nerds do, I went home and I did something about it--I found you an article to read: )
You don't have to read it. It's not "required." But I did want you to know that out there, in the big, bad, world full of scary government and Britney Spears's ever-changing hair, there are SOME people who are on your side.
This woman cares--and argues that it's quality, not quantity that really matters in the world of homework.
Overworked and Not Paid
And if you're not part of period 12?
You can still read. Or comment. Or both. But if you're here looking for homework, let me just cut to the chase of the torture I'm inflicting tonight:
Complete vocabulary sentences(words on the side--------> )
Go through your Chuck article and find instances of what you would call "good" writing. Underline them. Be prepared to discuss this tomorrow.
Have a stress-free night...I hope: )
<3,
Rock
This article actually has some very valid points, most of the homework I do, (except yours of course), does not help me learn the material better at all. Such as, reading for biology, I do not retain more than half of that information, even when reading it multiple times. So thank you for the interesting article, it really got me thinking about how homework should be an activity and not a chore.
ReplyDeleteSame here with bio. There's just so much information to take in with no type of activity or challenge to help you understand and remember the content, expect maybe the TPQ's. If she really wanted us to all do good, she could do something as simple as give us a sheet of paper that went over the stuff we just read.
DeleteI would also like to state how thought-provoking this article is. I never really though of homework as something meaningful (which is the point of this article). It was all just work to do to give us a grade of some sort, and really was not taken seriously. I can tell that the homework this year really does have an effect on my memory on the subject. Although tedious, you have to admit Mrs. Reosch's (I really don't know how to spell her last name) annotating homework sticks in your head. Even though it doesn't involve any of those techniques that were listed in the article, when you are doing REAL work (and not just reading a section and doing to vocab for it) does affect your memory with said material. /rant off
Well said Kyle.
DeleteNice rant too.:D hah
Seriously, screw the HW for Bio. We don't learn ANYTHING.
DeleteI'm glad: ) There's no need to flatter me; I know that even my homework annoys you, but I swear, I always try to ensure that it's purposeful and necessary. I get that the expectations on you are plentiful and stressful--I'm always trying to be part of the solution, not the problem. I think sometimes teachers(and yes, I'm guilty) feel like they "should" give you homework--and that is where the problems begin...
ReplyDeleteThis article was indeed very interesting and convincing; it gave statistics that supported the main point: Homework given out in these days are busy work and insignificant towards a student's learning. In my opinion, I completely agree; some of the homework I've received in middle school and for the first month of high school were very difficult to understand and frustrating to learn. In following, the evidence-based techniques that have a positive impact on learning are very fascinating. My favorite one is the "retrieval practice"; a simple quiz or test that jogs a student's memory to reinforce the information they have been taking notes on or discussing in class. However, even if this the points made in this article are very persuasive; I don't think that these changes will come soon. Just like the "You Say You Want a Revolution" article; people are just too unmotivated, frightened, or feel powerless to do anything to change anything like simple every day homework.
ReplyDeleteThe typos.. >.<
Delete