Friday, October 5, 2012

In 1492,


I'm sure you know the rest.

As I sit here, feet kicked up on this lovely start to Columbus Day weekend, I'm fondly remembering grade school.  Columbus Day wasn't just a day off--it was an event, a week-long celebration of everything explorer, an excuse for half the class to dress like Native Americans and for our teachers to throw us into make-shift canoes in the middle of the classroom.  Okay, maybe that was just my school, but for years, I blindly followed my teachers into believing Christopher Columbus was a hero.

Then I grew up, the world became more cynical, and I read Howard Zinn's People's History of the United States.  I would never again look at good ol' Chrissy the same.  Never heard of it?  Here's an excerpt:
Zinn . (Ignore the angry URL...and you may stop reading when he starts discussing his philosophy of history)

Today, I read this and thought, "Maybe I've been wrong to be angry for so long.  Maybe there's still something heroic left in the story of Christopher Columbus."

So what do you think?  Should we celebrate Columbus Day?  (And you know what I mean--there are no Columbus parties on my block, either.  I mean as a holiday.  Official.  On the calendar.)  Are there any other national holidays you find offensive?  Worthless?  Do you appreciate anything about today besides your lack of alarm clock?

Jot down some answers to this question, put 'em in your journal, and be ready to discuss.  Tuesday.  No excuses.

And this Columbus Day, do what is expected in his honor: let's walk into someone's house and tell them we live there now.

Haha.  I think...


3 comments:

  1. Are these the articles that we need to read over the weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES....It does say that above: )

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ridiculous in cant believe we have a holiday for that.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.