Thursday, October 18, 2012

Old Vocabulary Quiz


English I Honors
Mrs. Rock

Directions:  Read the following sentences, and fill in each blank with a word from the bank below.  Remember, it may be necessary to change the word ending. (5 pts. each)

malevolent        delineate           pundit               breach              intrigue
lethargic            arduous            banal                enrapture          waive

1.  It was quite an opening week of school; the insane heat kept my students in a suspended state of ________________________.

2.  Although the NFL has a clearly ______________________ morality clause, it must have escaped Michael Vick as he spent his off-seasons in Hotlanta abusing Pit Bulls and raking in cash.

3.  There are many Oakcrest High School students that tell tales of Mrs. Rock’s _________________, including the infamous student-loses-finger incident; however, her current students still believe she is all love.

4.  When Hannah became the first female professional alligator wrestler, she felt a surge of pride that she had __________________ the gender barrier.

5.  If there is one thing on Earth that consistently ____________________ my cat, Tommy, it’s the sight of my cockatiel, Lelu, landing on the kitchen floor just inches from his whiskers.

6.  I know I should rely on CNN or ABC, but my cable news __________________ of choice is Jon Stewart.

7.  As he encountered Mr. Reina in his office, Carmen ____________________ his right for parental guidance in favor of a reduced number of detention for the year.

8.  Because I hold a special place in my blackened heart for Brit-Brit, I watched ______________________ as she bombed in the first two seconds of the VMA’s.

9.  Mrs. Rock suspected that Kelsey was involved in a bit of _______________ with Hilary Rosenberg, especially when she found them both giggling by the tires of her bike.

10.  As a teacher, I’m supposed to say things like, “follow your dreams,” but I think that coming from me it would sound quite ____________________.

1 comment:

  1. 1. lethargy 2. delineated 3. malevolence 4. breached 5. enraptures 6. pundit 7. waived 8. arduously 9. intrigue 10. banal

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.